Professor V's Teaching Cafe

Teachers and Students Collaborating Worldwide

This weeks chapter touched on a few topics I find very important. The first one is being fully conscious in the classroom of all you say and do because the moment your school day begins your actions may affect your students. I was surprised when reading the story about Mrs. Owen calling out her student on the way she held her pencil! I think it's important we think about what we say to our students as we never know the lasting effect it can have on the student and their future learning experiences.

Not only do I believe we should be conscious of how we present ourselves to students but how students and other faculty members present themselves to the students. This chapter delved into a topic that is very important to me and that is the preventing and responding to sexual harassment. Teachers should always be on the look out for, and assessing students behavior with each other as well as faculty. Table 9.1 is a sexual harassment checklist for schools and school districts, it raises questions you should ask about your surrounding educational community such as;  Does your school/district have a specific policy against sexual harassment? How effective has your school/district been in implementing its anti-harassment policy? As teachers, we would need to be up to date on our schools/districts policies concerning sexual harassment and create a comfortable atmosphere in our classroom to our students so they can be informed and hopefully, feel safe about coming to us if they witness or become a victim to it.  

Perhaps I feel more strongly today about this topic because I had just seen a documentary recently on a teacher who overstepped his boundaries and got away for years subjecting his students to disgusting things, but the more aware we are of the signs and knowledge of how to respond to those situations, the more we can prevent it or put an end to it. We should protect the students, physically and emotionally at all costs. 

Views: 17

Replies to This Discussion

I couldn't agree more that whatever a teacher says or does at the beginning of the day can affect their students' behaviors and actions. It's hard to be a teacher, and many teachers make everyone aware of that. Teachers are up late grading papers, entering grades, planning lessons for the next day, and sometimes trying to live a life of their own depending on their own personal situations. If you act tired, angry, and impatient, you may find that a good majority of your students will act the same. This certainly doesn't help as it continues to make you more tired, angry, and impatient, that you just come to the conclusion that you had an extremely bad day that you may even quit teaching the next day. It's all part of the job that a teacher feels, but can be fixed. Yes, the teachers are already tired, angry, and impatient if they had a bad night and a lack of sleep, but the best thing you can do to have a much better day is to wipe the emotions away and make yourself as happy, loving, caring, joyful, and patient as possible. Doing this could result to a much better day, and well behaved students. 

Gabrielle,

I absolutely agree with you that the teacher's actions at the beginning of the classroom can effect the student's entire day. I know from talking with countless teachers, that teaching is not all cookies and nap time. Teaching is very difficult and time consuming. Your day does not end when the last bell rings. Teachers have told me that they have been up till the early hours in the morning grading papers or coming up with lesson plans. Teaching is not a career but a lifestyle. Those children become your children and you want to make sure that they get something out of being in your classroom.

This chapter made a lot of great points about classroom management as well. From my fieldwork I've learned that keeping a structured and distraction free setting for the children is highly important. Not only do they have a short attention span, but they are kids and kids just want to play.

Overall I really enjoyed your post!

Gabrielle,

I completely agree with your statement about always being aware of what we say to our students because we never know the lasting effect it has on them.  I can remember a little bit about my elementary school teachers and I also remember some of the nice things they said to me! I also feel very strongly about ending/preventing sexual harassment.  Unfortunately we just have to do the best job at being a teacher that we can and protect our students.

Good post!

I read that too and I laughed not because it was funny but because I couldn't believe that she said that! I laughed it was so unbelievable! Teachers AS WELL as students have an influence on other children and I think teachers need to make sure that in their classroom community that they make all students feel welcome and non judged in order to get the best performance out of the student. It's a career where you need a lot of compassion and patience and if teachers lack these qualities then it can be detrimental not only to their career but also their students!

Gabriella, 

What is the name of the documentary you watched? It sounds interesting and I'd like to check it out. I definitely agree with you that it is imperative to be fully present with the students. I think that it is very difficult to every know how much we really impact our students lives, and as such we must be extremely careful with what we say and do around them. One example of this from my life was my second grade teacher. She was the best teacher I have ever had and we have kept in contact throughout the years because of the friendship we were able to build. In a funny twist of fate, she is actually the teacher I am doing my field experience with, and it has been a great experience getting to learn from a teacher who I respect and admire so much. 

It was a friend that showed it to me and I can't seem to find it on the internet, but the man I'm referring to is William Vahey. Youtube has a video with him and a bunch of others but it's pretty graphic in detail and hard to stomach listening to. I only know about Vahey and Mark Berndt, since it's youtube I'm not sure how valid the others are.  

Top 10 Most Evil Teachers  

Thank you!!!!
Jordan Kohn said:

Gabriella, 

What is the name of the documentary you watched? It sounds interesting and I'd like to check it out. I definitely agree with you that it is imperative to be fully present with the students. I think that it is very difficult to every know how much we really impact our students lives, and as such we must be extremely careful with what we say and do around them. One example of this from my life was my second grade teacher. She was the best teacher I have ever had and we have kept in contact throughout the years because of the friendship we were able to build. In a funny twist of fate, she is actually the teacher I am doing my field experience with, and it has been a great experience getting to learn from a teacher who I respect and admire so much. 

RSS

Internet Safety

Please be aware that while we collaborate globally, it is important to keep your identity private.  Please be protective of your private information while logging on to any web site, including this one.

Use fake information for birthdates; do not give your address, phone number, school or job locations or any other identifying information.  It is wise to use a secondary e mail address that is not your primary address whenever you log on to social web sites.

For more information on protecting yourself and your identity, please see the following web page: http://www.atg.wa.gov/InternetSafety/Adults.aspx .

Be smart, be safe,

© 2018   Created by Professor V.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service